April 3, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Birchville Cat Motel – Our Love Will Destroy The World

You would think with the amount of pot this country smokes, Campbell Kneale’s particular brand of humming drones and trance inducing static would be more appreciated. He did get mentioned in The Listener’s 2005 music round-up so I guess that’s something to cut out and show to mum.

In terms of crowd pleasing, this could be Birchville Cat Motel’s moment. The album’s even got drums. Comprising the two tracks from his Screamformelongbeach CDR plus three originals, this offering combines the horns-in the-air clout of his recent Black Boned Angel project and the transcendental beauty for which Birchville Cat Motel is known. After squealing over a blast-beat for a couple of minutes, the noise rocking slam dance ‘55,000 Flowers for the Hero’ begins. High end screaming feedback eventually engulfs rolling waves of thunderous

bass, while a steady krautrock beat drives everything home. There’s that amplified bagpipe sound that made Kneale’s previous release Chi Vampires so intriguing and a little bit of intense organ plonking throughout (hmm, that sounds vaguely filthy). ‘Lay Thy Hatred Down’ proves to be just a temporary comedown; the two final tracks swell to a whirring maelstrom of chirping tones.

Tune in, turn up and drop dead. Fucking obliterating blissed-out mind-wiping mana from the heavens. If I were slightly less excited about this release I’d be trying to sell you copies of it on the street like those crazy Buddhist zombie chicks. YES, I LIVE HERE. NO, I DON’T WANT TO BUY YOUR GURU’S BOOK. WHY DOES YOUR SLAVISH DEVOTION EXCITE ME SO? I’m keen as Hitler.

Put this in your iPod and smoke it, no longer shall you suffer the shitawful chattering of the outside world. In fact
you don’t even need to hear anything else ever again.

Available from your favourite

noise distro or the always useful SmokeCDs.com.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface