Calling All Geeks…

The Second Annual New Zealand Comics Festival, a celebration of New Zealand cartoons and comics, is being held over this weekend.

This year, the Comics Festival is being held at the same time as the Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo, but this doesn’t faze Comics Festival organiser Robyn Kenealy, who says “Comics Festival tends to scoop up all the people who like comics but would never have gone to Armageddon. We tend to focus on lo-fi independent work, plus it’s free to come to Comics Festival!”

Comics Festival was, in fact, inspired by Armageddon. “I realised that there was an audience at Armageddon for comics,” says Kenealy. “So some friends and I conceived a festival that would be on over the same weekend – the idea being that anyone who was in town for Armageddon could come along to Comics Festival as well, and get all the comics they could handle.”

And if you’re worried about being labelled a geek for attending, Kenealy says don’t be. “Comics are mostly viewed as just another art-form now with various genres appealing to different people – some geeky, some not so geeky.”

Highlights include an exhibition of New Zealand comics at the Ron Barber Gallery on Aro Street, and talks by Darren Schroeder and Dylan Horrocks on Saturday. For more information visit www.comics.org.nz.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.