Eastside Beer Prices Skyrocket – Petrol Prices blamed

The price of a jug at the-bar-formerly-known-as-Eastside has just increased to $8, with Union management blaming rising petrol prices.

Union Operations Manager Catriona McBean says the bar is aiming to break even this year, despite a non-existent history of returning a profit. She says that thanks to rising petrol prices and the resulting increase in employees’ transportation costs, barstaff have to be paid more to compensate. However, given the existing profit margins, this could simply not be afforded.

“Unfortunately it’s going to affect everyone,” McBean says. “Living costs are going up for everyone and we can’t afford to absorb that.” Furthermore, the extra charges might not be just limited to beer. McBean says she “wouldn’t be surprised if the café had to look at prices as well.”

“It makes sense,” first-year student Jess Field concedes. “But we’re students and we have a lack of money in our pockets. It’s not our fault petrol prices are going up.” On the topic of petrol then, it’s probably of great reassurance to know that experts are still predicting prices will rise to $2 a litre by the end of 2006.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,