Eastside Beer Prices Skyrocket – Petrol Prices blamed

The price of a jug at the-bar-formerly-known-as-Eastside has just increased to $8, with Union management blaming rising petrol prices.

Union Operations Manager Catriona McBean says the bar is aiming to break even this year, despite a non-existent history of returning a profit. She says that thanks to rising petrol prices and the resulting increase in employees’ transportation costs, barstaff have to be paid more to compensate. However, given the existing profit margins, this could simply not be afforded.

“Unfortunately it’s going to affect everyone,” McBean says. “Living costs are going up for everyone and we can’t afford to absorb that.” Furthermore, the extra charges might not be just limited to beer. McBean says she “wouldn’t be surprised if the café had to look at prices as well.”

“It makes sense,” first-year student Jess Field concedes. “But we’re students and we have a lack of money in our pockets. It’s not our fault petrol prices are going up.” On the topic of petrol then, it’s probably of great reassurance to know that experts are still predicting prices will rise to $2 a litre by the end of 2006.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con