Eastside Beer Prices Skyrocket – Petrol Prices blamed

The price of a jug at the-bar-formerly-known-as-Eastside has just increased to $8, with Union management blaming rising petrol prices.

Union Operations Manager Catriona McBean says the bar is aiming to break even this year, despite a non-existent history of returning a profit. She says that thanks to rising petrol prices and the resulting increase in employees’ transportation costs, barstaff have to be paid more to compensate. However, given the existing profit margins, this could simply not be afforded.

“Unfortunately it’s going to affect everyone,” McBean says. “Living costs are going up for everyone and we can’t afford to absorb that.” Furthermore, the extra charges might not be just limited to beer. McBean says she “wouldn’t be surprised if the café had to look at prices as well.”

“It makes sense,” first-year student Jess Field concedes. “But we’re students and we have a lack of money in our pockets. It’s not our fault petrol prices are going up.” On the topic of petrol then, it’s probably of great reassurance to know that experts are still predicting prices will rise to $2 a litre by the end of 2006.

1. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  2. Why I voted for fee rises
  3. Fuck the Establishment
  4. Facebook upset over fee rises
  5. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  6. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  7. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  8. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  9. Coppers Become Croppers
  10. Word Up, Student Teachers!

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.