Faculty delegates elected – Students yawn

University faculty delegates were elected during last Wednesday’s SRC, following a failure to reach quorum and achieve this result at VUWSA’s previous meeting.

In a typical display of student apathy, only 52 people were present in the quad to swear in the 11 delegates across the three faculties of science (Kristof Alexandrofsky, Alexander Kane, Praneta Joshi, Polina Jilina), humanities and social sciences (Maria Beatriz, Tory Whanau, Stephan Tyler, Gareth Robinson) and commerce (C.J Hunt, Jaya Grewali, Sean O’Connor), as well as representatives for the timetable and academic committees.

Miri Duffield, the VUWSA Vice President for Education, views the lack of student involvement in this process as “incredibly disappointing” because faculty delegates play a vital role in University decision-making. “It’s an opportunity for students to represent the student view at higher level board meetings and therefore make a difference. All university policy and statutes are passed through the board meetings. Student Delegates have contributed much towards the current Uni policies such as the statute of student conduct and plagiarism guidelines which clearly has a large effect on students.”

Two training sessions will be held for the new delegates: 4 April at 12.00 and 5 April at 1.00pm. Delegates should meet at VUWSA 10 minutes before these schedules times.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos