April 3, 2006 | by  | in Film |

Me, You, and Everyone We Know

The screening for You, Me and Everyone We Know was packed, and I mean really packed; every seat was filled shoulder-to-shoulder except for the first three rows. It was really nostalgic, like in 1991 when I was five and I watched Beauty and the Beast in a full cinema. I hadn’t experienced that in a long time, and it was awesome. (It was also a Radio Active Card screening)

In my opinion, this film is about loneliness. Characters in this film all want to connect to and be intimate with someone, be it their own children, the shoe sales-man, or a cybersex partner. Me, You, and Everyone We Know mixes characters up in a big pot, and lets their stories form and connect together in a hopeful and optimistic way. A father would do anything to get his sons to notice him, even by setting fire to his hand, a woman tries to create a fairytale relationship and creeps out her intended lover, a cybersex participant finds out who the recipient of their desperate messages really are…
This is a very touching film. Director Miranda July’s portrayal of Christine Jesperson was a big highlight. July brings such amazing life to her character that I couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps that is what she is like in real life. Who could direct such an awesomely peculiar film and create a range of fantastic characters but someone who is in herself a little bit different?

Me, You, and Everyone You Know presents to us the intimate moments in life. The moments where only we know what we get up to when no one is looking. There are so many moments and scenes that you will recall years after you have seen this film. This film’s humour has real intelligence – if you can only appreciate Hollywood humour that has obvious pauses where they think you should laugh then don’t watch this film. This film should be enjoyed with a friend. You will share such awesome moments together that you would have missed out on if you watch alone.

Directed by Miranda July
Rialto Cinema

1