April 3, 2006 | by  | in Books |

my favourite writer is…Muriel Spark (1918-)

Dubbed the ‘Queen of Poetry’ in her high school years, Spark has always been a writer. Before her success as a novelist, she worked in journalism and publishing, writing poetry and essays, one of which grew into an excellent biography of Mary Shelley. In December 1951, her entry in The Observer’s short-story competition triumphed over nearly 7,000 other entries, which stimulated her to write fiction. The Comforters, Spark’s first novel, received stunning reviews – including one from Evelyn Waugh. This encouraged her to finish a whopping six novels in four years. Early in the 1960s, Spark left London to live in New York, where she was given her own office at The New Yorker. Considering her fellow contributors to the magazine in those days (J D Salinger, John Updike, and Vladimir Nabokov), she did rather well. Her most widely known work, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie began as a story in The New Yorker, which was admired by many and assured Spark a plentiful social life while in New York. If you haven’t read Spark before, start with the Brodie book; it’s a good example of the wit, social intelligence and humour present in all her books.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel