May 27, 2006 | by  | in Film |

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004)

I know Ghost in the Shell 2 already came out at last year’s film festival, but I doubt many would have seen it. This movie deserves to be reviewed again in Salient, and all you little puppies will have the opportunity to watch it at the World Cinema Showcase starting next Thursday. The animation from Ghost in the Shell 2 is so exquisite that it graces the cover of the World Cinema Showcase programme, which you can pick up at Paramount Cinema, Aro St Video Store etc.

Ghost in the Shell catapulted Japanese anime into the Western world’s spotlight again after Akira (1995). It was an animated masterpiece. But then Ghost in the Shell 2 was born, and my opinion is that it far surpasses the first. Aside from the visual delight of the luscious colours exploding from the screen, I felt that the whole philosophy of Ghost in the Shell 2 was communicated to the audience better. I really loved the adages this film uses. At times whole conversations were proverbs relayed from one character to another. I wish I could understand Japanese. It was absolute torture having to rip my eyes from the beautiful animation and focus on the subtitles.

Set in 2032, being a human consisting of all flesh and blood is becoming rare, and most have spliced cyborg parts, or are entirely cyborgs. The story continues on from the first. Major Motoko (voiced by Atsuko Tanaka) has been listed as a missing person and her ex-partner Batô (voice of Akio Ôtsuka) has been assigned on a mission investigating the occurrence of sexbots viciously butchering their owners.

This is a movie to respect. Don’t watch it pissed or stoned. You will be missing out. Watch it at the World Cinema Showcase and enjoy Ghost in the Shell 2, it’s impossible to be disappointed.

Directed by Mamoru Oshii
Playing at the World Cinema Showcase at Paramount April 6-19