Mixed views on multinational forum

A multinational forum on tertiary education held the week before last is being touted as a success by organisers, despite the exclusion of students and staff from most of the conference.

Organised by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC), the forum gathered together a range of international experts on tertiary education policy, holding discussions on possible future funding models, monitoring teaching quality and student contribution.

TEC Deputy Chief Executive Colin Webb says the forum was “highly successful”, adding that “delegates said they found the discussion very interesting, and the sharing of experience and information extremely useful.”

While neither the New Zealand University Students’ Association nor the Association of University Staff were invited to the first two days of the forum, which were closed to the public, both organisations were among those who attended on the open day.

Both NZUSA and AUS expressed their disappointment at only being able to attend on the third day. Webb, however, says “we believe day three gave a wide range of people ample opportunity to participate in the forum.”

NZUSA Co-President Conor Roberts says the discussion on the third day was “right off target”, and thought the participants did not go far enough to examine
student hardship.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Music
  2. WCC put in naughty corner by central government
  3. The sickest new dean
  4. Students strike sky-high rent
  5. More tax cuts for rich people
  6. Fire alarms Castle Street
  7. Everybody Poops
  8. Major protests in PNG
  9. Victoria hero graduates
  10. Govt says mental health services are fine
blues

Soul, Freedom, and Bluesfest

: The idea of throwing a massive birthday party is my worst nightmare. So it should come as no surprise that when the time came for me to plan my 21st birthday, I avoided giving anyone who asked a straight answer. Mum wanted a party, I wanted out. I wanted to run away. I was enroll