Party pills + booze = bad time – Who’d have thought?

The University Reduce Harm committee has produced a leaflet of ‘party pill facts’ in order to make students aware of the dangers of party pills.

VUWSA Welfare Vice-President Maddy Drew has been in negotiations over the leaflet since last year, and says information about the contents and effects of party pills is not widely available. Many students, she says, are taking pills in an unsafe environment with alcohol, or not drinking enough water, and finding themselves in trouble.

Feedback over past years to VUWSA has shown very few people are having good experiences with party pills, with many suffering side-effects such as insomnia and an unpleasant ‘come-down’. Victoria University Student Health is presently collecting data of patients suffering the side-effects of party pills, but were unable to put an exact figure on how many cases they have treated.

Nick Merrett, manager of the Victoria University Accommodation Service and member of the Reduce Harm committee, describes the purpose of the leaflet and cards as being to provide students with more information about the drugs they are taking so they can make more informed decisions. “We’re not saying to not take party pills, we’re just getting accurate information out there, along with the side effects.”

Cosmic Corner’s Tyreena Cook says that pills sold contain information about pill ingredients, side-effects and directions for use. Staff members also inform patrons on how to use party pills, but frequently have return visitors seeking a cure after taking them.

The party pill leaflets produced by Reduce Harm featured in first-year orientation packs and will be available from student health and VUWSA in the near future.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Does it still get you loopy when you take it and keep yourself from falling asleep??

2. Phillip says:

Hey there Steve –
    How come you allow all this spam over your magazine’s internet pages?
    Phillip

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.