TIASA Members Back Down in Pay Dispute

The union representing polytec’ staff, the Tertiary Institutes Allied Staff Association (TIASA) has decided to call off their industrial action against Auckland university-wannabe Unitec.

Staff at Unitec decided to settle the dispute, despite not receiving the 4% pay increase they were fighting for. TIASA union members instead have settled for a 3% pay increase, a one off taxable payment of $300, and an increase of 5 days in their holidays. Non union members will also receive these benefits, but only after a month stand down. period.

TIASA members decided to settle after being told that this was most likely the best that they would get. Evelyn Tuipulotu, from Student Services, remembers hearing, “take it while you can,” and took it to heart, when she chose to settle along with other members.

Although they chose to settle this year, TIASA representatives say, a similar pay offer in 2007 will see more strikes. They say they will return to the negotiations table and begin their picketing in the hope of finally receiving a pay increase that equals that offered by other institutes around New Zealand.

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer