July 17, 2006 | by  | in Music |

David Bowie: Diamond Dogs

I have been informed by two separate friends – both of them certifiably mad in different yet endearing ways – that the world is going to end in 2021. Or 2012, I can’t remember. This has something

to do, I am told, with the oil-peak and the fact that once it inevitably becomes more expensive to produce oil than it can be sold for then production will simply stop. Infrastructure will break down, there will no way cheap auto insurance quotes to move food and medical supplies, and civilization will turn to anarchy. It will be survival of the fittest with corpses in the streets. Imposition of martial law will fail, and we shall be gloriously free. That sort of thing.

David Bowie pic. I am less concerned with the scientific specifics of how this will work than I am with the images of apocalypse that would ensue, in my imagination of The End. It will be the fantastic realm of the outlaws and the highwaymen. Everything will take on the texture of an Enki Bilal Paris, everyone will have a gun and a pack of cigarettes. And what will be blaring through the static of a broken radio mast? “And… in the death, as the last few corpses lay rotting on the slimy thoroughfare, the shutters lifted in inches in Temperance Building, high on Poachers Hill and red mutant eyes gazed down on Hunger City, no more big wheels, fleas the size of rats sucked on rats the size of cats and ten thousand peoploids split into small tribes coveting the highest of the sterile skyscrapers…” There are hundreds of potential end of the world albums, but Diamond Dogs, intended as an allegory of Orwell’s 1984, is the only one that makes me want to cheer on the day with both fists in the air. A glam rock masterpiece of paranoia, destruction and a dying civilization waiting for the Diamond Dogs to deliver them… All together now: “This ain’t Rock ‘n Roll, this is Genocide!”

1