July 24, 2006 | by  | in Books |

Huia Short Stories 5

THE HUIA Collections are a result of national competitions held by Huia Publishers for Maori writers. Each collection has about 25 stories written by numerous authors. High profile judges who are also Maori writers select the best stories from the entries. Huia Publishers released the sixth edition in 2005. The fifth edition is one of the many texts taught in NZ LIT 200 level at Victoria University. The significance of the Huia Collections is that it has a wide variety of writers and wide variety of stories and this reflects the multiplicity of the Māori community.

E ai ki tētahi tauira, “he tino pai te pukapuka nei nā te mea ko tēnei te pukapuka mō ngā Māori o te millenium. He māmā ki te pānui, he iti te kōrero, he nunui te whakaaro. I te pānui ahau i tētahi kōrero nā Marlene Bennett, arā ko ‘Bottle Stack’, kua whakahoki ōku whakaaro ki te wā o tāku tamararikitanga. Kua kii au ki a au, ko tērā te kōrero mō tāku tamarikitanga, mō tōku whānau hoki, ā, kua tangi ahau.

THE CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS COLLECTION ARE: MARLENE BENNETTS, ANTON BLANK, GEORGINA BOYD-KEREKERE, GERRY COATES, ELSA ELLISON, ANN FRENCH, ANAHERA GILDEA, MAREWA GLOVER, WIREMU GRACE, NATHAN GRAY, ERU HART, CATHRENE HOWE, SHONA JONES, DARRYN JOSEPH, KELLY JOSEPH, MICHELLE LOWE, MICHELLE MANNING, JOEL MAXWELL, RIHIA KENNY REI, HAGEN TAUTARI, CHAS TE RUNA, JAN VINCENT, ALAN WEHIPEIHANA AND FAY WILLIAMS. Huia Publishers, $29.95

1. “The movement is diverse, the battlegrounds are different”: Talking feminism with Golriz Ghahraman.
  2. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  3. hidden figures
  4. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  5. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  6. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  7. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  8. Issue 15 – Feminism