July 25, 2006 | by  | in Online Only |

In Sickness and In Health

Perhaps one of the only things I dislike about this job is the fact that there’s virtually no sick leave. Sure, the collective employment agreement I signed says there is, but that means little when you’ve got a magazine to produce.

James learned this lesson quite quickly after a late Thursday night run to an after hours pharmancy to find a miracle cure for his dental problems. It was quite worrying having your boss run off when he still had most of a feature and an editorial to write, and a whole lot of content to edit. But it turned out ok, thanks to a little bottle of clove oil.

The only time I can remember anyone around here taking sick leave was in 2004, when the editoress broke her wrist.

I haven’t really got anything like that to whinge about, I’ve just got the flu. But still, it sucks all the fun out of my job. I’d so rather be in bed right now. But I’ve got a feature to write and interviews to do, so going home is a few hours away yet.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. jess says:

well, i’m on garden leave at the moment, so let me know if you need a hand ;) i suggest lemsip, and lots of it.

2. When are you going to offer PDF downloads of all the old issues? Or even just the current one?

Saves paper, saves time organising all the articles, and might keep the advertisers happy (more readers etc).

1