Interview with IHAKA WHAANGA

Involvement within sports and recreation.

(I) NŌ HEA KOE?
Nuhaka.

(I) KEI HEA KOE E MAHI ANA?
The recreation centre (Victoria University of Wellington).

(I) HE AHA TE TAKE I HAERE MAI KOE KI KONEI?
I just needed a job, because I had finished my study last year and graduated from Weltec.

(I) KOINEI TĀU E PĪRANGI TE WHAI?
I’d like to be a personal trainer or maybe a team trainer.

(I) I PĒHEA KOE I WHAI I TĒNEI TŪMOMO MAHINGA?
I just applied online – I applied for everything under sport and recreation within the Wellington region. These were the second guys who gave me a call

(I) HE AHA NGĀ TŪMOMO MANA WHAKAHERE I A KOE E MAHI ANA I KONEI?
Half the time I’m on reception doing administration stuff and the other half of the time I’m in the gym training people – working on the floor

(I) HE AHA NGĀ MAHI O REIRA?
Personal training sessions, start up programmes where we give the students just a basic kind of training.

(I) E HIA NGĀ TAUIRA MĀORI E WHAKAMAHI I TE WĀHI NGAHAU NEI?
There’s quite a bit, not just with the gym but also the facilities – like basketball, and volleyball. There’s quite a range of races that come in here: Asians, Islanders, Europeans, and Americans

(I) HE AHA NGĀ RATONGA KEI TE KITEA I KONEI?
A full basketball court where you could play volley ball, netball, soccer, that’s what’s available in the main gym. Down by reception we have table tennis tables and a couple more down in the dance room. The full gym and personal training sessions and a variety of group exercise classes.

(I) KIA KOE HE PĒHEA TE TAUWEHENGA O TE MĀORI E WHAKAMAHI I TE WHARE HĀKINAKINA?
The ratio isn’t that good. A lot of them just come to use the basketball gym but they don’t really use the main gym, they come just to play sports really.

(I) KA PĒHEA TŌ WHAKAWAI I NGĀ TAUIRA MĀORI KI TE WHAKAMAHI I TE WHARE HĀKINAKINA NEI?
Yeah I’m not quite sure what the advertising is like around campus, especially over at the marae. I’m not quite sure if people are aware of the gym

(I) KEI TE TĀKARO TONU KOE I TE HĀKINAKINA?
Yeah, when I’m not injured, I’m pretty prone to injuries now, I’m getting old. But pretty much anything you put in front of me I’ll play. In recent years I’ve played a lot of indoor netball, indoor soccer, American football, touch and flag.

(I) Ki a koe, me kimi huarahi te whare mo ngā hākinakina i tua atu i ngā hākinakina kei konei tonu hei para i te huarahi kia whakaara i ngā tauira Māori ki te whakamahi i ngā raemi o te whare rā? Rānei me waiho kē kia rite tonu, he maha ngā rauemi me ngā hākinakina o te wā?
At the moment our soccer and netball leagues were full on registration day, so I think that’s pretty good.

(I) HE KŌRERO TĀU E ĀHEI AWHI I NGĀ TAUIRA E WHAKAMĀ ANA KI TE HAERE ATU KI TE WHARE HĀKINAKINA?
The first step is just trying to decide whether to come. Because heaps of people have trouble just making their minds up, so turning up is even harder. But if they come here we’re a pretty good staff, we’ll show you around and just try and help you out.

(I) NATEMEA KUA OTI I A KOE TE WHAI I TŌ TOHU, HE KŌRERO TAUTOKO KEI A KOE HEI WHAKAARA I NGĀ TAUIRA MĀORI E WHAI ANA I TĒNEI HUARAHI?
Just make sure it’s what you want, I had doubts along the way. Like last year when I was doing my diploma I was doubting whether I wanted to go that way – it was when I was given people to train when I began to love it. Make sure it’s what you want and stick at it.

1