July 21, 2006 | by  | in Online Only |

It’s Thursday. Again.

So James learned how to hyperlink today (or, more correctly, yesterday), and isn’t he so good at it? And now that I have my own log-in and don’t have to post via email, I too can enjoy all the wonders of html. All those fancy buttons!

Oddly for a Thursday, the office is a haven of calm. We haven’t even had to put on the power music yet. My baby, the news – which traditionally is the last section to be laid out – is almost finished which means I get to go home soon. Getting to bed before three on a Friday morning is a novelty for me these days.

Anyway, in spite of the awful weather, a whole lot of people turned up to the 90 Days Probation Bill protest at Parliament about 12 hours ago. Extensive leaflet dropping by VUWSA saw a massive three people march to Parliament from the Kelburn campus. Nick Kelly and Joel Cosgrove – eternally the worker’s friends – turned up later too. I mostly stood on Dick Seddon’s statue so I could see, hung out with former President PJ, took pictures and said spiteful things about the songs.

Seriously, why must left-wing rallys almost always begin with badly written protest songs? It’s nearly enough to drive someone of centre-left persuasion into the arms of Roger Douglas. Or, lord help me, Milton Friedman.

What else happened today? There was a by-election candidate’s forum at The-bar-formerly-known-as-Eastside. About ten people turned up, and I think at least half came by accident. As in, they went for a quiet drink after class and found themselves rudely accosted by wannabe student politicians. Poor bastards.

So yeah. Have a good weekend. And make sure you read the news on Monday. Because, chances are, you’re not going to be able to read much else. Ha!

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Jenn says:

I didnt even know about the forum… and i usually know about those kinds of things being an ex-vuwsa-ite. but then again, i still havent received the email and so cant actually vote. this happened last by-election too and i thought it would have been fixed by now.

2. Nicola says:

I can see why, when to my knowledge it wasn’t advertised. At all.

Basically the problem has to do with the switch over of student email addresses a couple of years back. As a result, many people who enrolled at University in 2003 or previously won’t get the email.

If you’re really worried about being able to vote (and let’s face it, it’s a total farce anyway) you should go down to the VUWSA office and leave your name with the receptionist. That’s if they’ve found someone to replace Andrew.

3. Kate says:

If it’s a farce why do we have to pay for it?

4. blogette says:

nicola surely you shouldn’t be compromising your objectivity (HAHAHA) by making comments like that? you are so unprofessional

5. blogette, objectivity?

objectivity itself is a farce.

6. Nicola Kean says:

That’s a tough call from someone who hides behind a pseudonym.

7. Well the advertising was shite to say the least, but I did know it was happening, but chose not to attend as nowadays VUWSA elections are scraping the bottom of the barrel…and also become more incest than previous years and I thought that was impossible…

As for objectivity it is a myth…for example the Salient political reporter is President of Victorias young Labour. but this is not a suprise as anyone interested in politics enough to write an article each week is most likely going to be a member of a political party.

8. Jeremy says:

I don\’t think Geoff is necessarily the politics reporter – he\’s just a columnist. Anyone could write a counter-column if they like (well, almost anyone).

I think Geoff\’s done quite well to write an un-baised column each week – and I\’ve heard many people on the write say the same thing.

9. blogetee says:

oh dont be silly. i don’t want you to know who i am. doesn’t mean I can’t criticise you for being unprofessional. my point stands.

geoff’s column is a loaad of stinking crap; it is totally biased. he can’t even write properly.

10. Greg says:

Well, blogette, if we guess who you are, will you tell us? If so, my guess is Eleanor Toland.

Furthermore, Salient relies on volunteers. If you want to complain, then do so. But honestly, the best way is to either get involved, or raise enough money to fund more staff for Salient.

11. Jenn says:

Ive heard its closer to home (or VUWSA) than Eleanor

12. That wouldn’t suprise me Jenn…

And Most of Geoffs columns have been pretty fair, just a couple I noticed like the one about Chavuel (However you spell it) that was a suck up piece.

13. Is Blogette Eleanor Toland?

I feel it may be.

Anyway, Geoff’s columns are fair and even. I was not aware for a week or so at the start of the year he was President of Young Labour. But he does a decent job.
    In my opinion anyway.

14. Nicola Kean says:

Blogette, if you have a serious problem with my professionalism, I suggest you write a letter to the editor. Signed with your real name.

I have never laboured under the pretense of this blog being anything but my own opinions and self-indulgent ramblings. If I were expressing such views in the news pages of my magazine, that would be a different story. Until that happens, go buy some stress balls or something.

15. blogetter@vuwsa.com says:

sadly nicola you can’t separate your blog musings from your writings in salient. this is a salient blog, remember. no doubt you update it from your salient office as well.
    geoff’s columns are boring. at least that capitalist pig dog guy (mabbitt?) wrote funny ones.
    jeremy why can’t you spell?

16. Greg says:

Might withdraw that guess. Eleanor has a blog, and given that most bloggers love to highlight that (and get people visiting etc.) then I would say she would link to her own blog. And furthermore, Toland is quite upfront, so would have the guts to put her name behind it. And Blogette attacks Toland (http://garethrobinson.net.nz/?p=207#comments)

Blogette is probably some screwed up little fruitcake with nothing better to do than sit on the internet (and before Blogette makes the comment that I\’m on the internet a lot, it\’s because I procrastinate from uni work as opposed to being a lifeless bitch).

So I give you my clues to who Blogette could be (oohh detective work time)
    1.) Female (from name, but then I could easily put my name down as \”Loretta\”, so not too sure about that)
    2.) Stood as a candidate at the last VUWSA election, or had something to do it with it (someone leaving the exec? a friend of a candidate? a failed candidate?) (http://garethrobinson.net.nz/?p=223#comment-430 )
    3.) Has been at uni less than three years (got the email to vote – http://garethrobinson.net.nz/?p=223#comment-430)
    4.) Might be a law student (http://garethrobinson.net.nz/?p=223#comment-418 )
    5.) supports VSM (http://garethrobinson.net.nz/?p=223#comment-437)

17. Jeremy says:

Spelling isn’t a priority for me.

18. Also knows about the VUWSA website redesign, approved a month or two ago, so must still be in the loop.

Other than that – we’re talking a stroppy, grandeur riddled, supposed miscreant with an inflated opinion of how stinging her cut-price insults are.

Anyhoo.

19. Greg says:

If you are going to criticise people for their spelling, you could at least have decent grammar! Let’s take your last comment:

[S]adly [N]icola you can’t separate your blog musings from your writings in salient. [T]his is a [S]alient blog, remember. [N}o doubt you update it from your [S]alient office as well.
    [G]eoff’s columns are boring. [A]t least that capitalist pig dog guy ([M]abbitt?) wrote funny ones.
    [J]eremy why can’t you spell?

Those are the deadly obvious ones to me. However, I am sure you breach numerous other conventions.

20. Jeremy says:

Jesus guys, it didn’t take long for the anonymous posts to rub you up the wrong way, did it?

The way I figure it: if you have the facility to people post anonymously, you’ve got to expect people to take you up on that. I reserve the right to ignore them, but I will never stop them posting.

21. bloggette@vuwsa.com says:

detective greg to the rescue
    some hints: i am female.

That is all.

22. Nic Sando says:

Ahh, you people are all so emo. As in you cut yourselves while listening to Good Charolette.

23. Tara says:

Shut up fatso.

24. I did see a couple of leaflets… might have gone if i didn’t have a lecture, probably not.

Blogette… it’s simple to find out who someone really is on the internet.
    Anonymity is an illusion… you posted on their site, they have your IP address.

25. Yes Peter you are right chasing someone down is simple, but of course blogette will be using a VUWSA computer so all we will be proving is that time is being wasted on those computers when they should be doing work for us students…