KAI MAORI “What’s for lunch Gran?”

IF YOU would like to sample some of Grandma’s fine cuisine she’s cooking at the marae everyday this week. Lunch is at 12pm and meals cost $4 for tauira, or $5 for staff.

PARĀOA PARAI

Kia 4 ngā kapu puehu parāoa
Kia 3 ngā pūne huka
Kia 2 ngā pūne īhi
Kotahi rita wai Māori.

TIKANGA KI TE WHAKARITE TĒNEI KAI.
Tapiritia te huka, te wai Māori me te īhi katahi ka ringihia ki roto i te puehu parāoa. Pokea katoatia nga mea whakauru tae noa ki te ahuatanga o tētahi pokenga. Tukuna te parāoa kia piki mō ngā miniti e 20, katahi ka pokepoke. Tapahia kia orite te rahi, nui o ngā parāoa. Tunua ki roto i te hinu kia koura te ahua o ngā parāoa. Pania te parāoa ki te miere. E kai!

FRIED BREAD

4 Cups of flour
3 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons of yeast
1 Ltr of water

METHOD
Add sugar, water and yeast together, then pour into the flour. Mix into a dough then, leave to rise for 20min. Knead and cut into appropriate sizes. Cook in hot oil till golden brown.

Add Golden Syrup on top.

PARONE

Mahuna poaka
Mixed veges

Tikanga ki te whakarite tēnei kai. Raua te mahuna poaka ki roto i te kohua, ka whakakiihia te kohua ki te wai katahi ka paira. Pairahia te mahuna poaka kia ngāwari ngā miti kia taka ra anō ngā miti i te paroiwi, ā, kia hinuhinu tonu te wai kohua. Raua ngā miti ki roto i tētahi rihi ka konatunatuhia. I muri mai i tēnā, raua ō mixed veges, me te wai kohua, engari kia paku noa te wai kohua, ka raua atu ki roto i te pouaka makariri kia maro ai tō parone.

1. Katrina says:

Thank you for the fried bread reciepe. Im a happy maori now. I was raised by pakeha and never learn’t my culture or its treasures (fried bread), so again thank you Im off to teach myself and my daughter.

Arohanui Katrina and Whanau

2. Simone says:

Hiya, tried your recipe, 4 cups to 1 litre? Turned to soup, had to add another 4 cups of flour to get a dough consistency.

3. Simon says:

the fried bread recipe turned to soup for me aswell but i found another one that worked here http://www.maori-in-oz.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=1

4. Shiree says:

This recipe is tino reka. I think the water should be 1/2 litre not 1 litre as this amount worked well for me.

5. charmed1 says:

Thanx, Trying recipe now, although have used half a litre of water.

6. jamie says:

For all those who put the water straight into the mix instead of putting it in a bit at a time this is for you –

when you are working with any type of dough (unless specified otherwise) You add your wet ingredients a little at a time because the amount that has been given is not neccessarily the amount that you need; it may be a little less or even a liitle more. hope that helps with future recipes you try :)

7. Jonesy says:

Um, not to let the air out of your bread, but isn’t this the recipe for…bread?

And did Maori even have yeast, flour, sugar?

8. DAve says:

Bloody think they invented bread now, do they?

1