News in brief

APPLICATIONS ARE now open for a new summer course offered by the Political Science and International Relations programme. A China field trip paper will be based at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing, where students will study Chinese government and politics. Applications close in mid-August and more details are available from the programme’s website.

VUWSA WILL be releasing their longawaited 2006 budget next Wednesday. Maybe they’ll spend some money on a new van, after their old one failed to gain its latest warrant.

A NATIONAL organisation for queer students has been set up at the latest UniQ conference. UniQ’s national co-ordinator Megan Moffet, from Waikato University, says the organisation is the product of two years of hard work. While Moffet is still working on the practical details of setting up the body, she says it will aim to be a national voice for queer students, increase knowledge of UniQ and provide advocacy and social services.

HOT SOUP will be sold in the Quad next Wednesday lunchtime as a fundraiser for the Amnesty On Campus group. Amnesty is a non-profit organisation that campaigns against world-wide human rights abuses. All profits from the soup-selling will go towards a campaign against human rights abuses in Myanmar (Burma).

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this