July 17, 2006 | by  |

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest

The word disappointed does not even fully explain how I felt about the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. I expected more from Johnny, Orlando, and strangely enough Keira, who had such great on-screen chemistry and captured the essence of their characters so brilliantly in the first film. In Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl the viewer grew attached to the three main characters, however, the second movie totally removes this attachment, with not only lack of empathy for the characters but also a general lack of entertainment and too much fake tan.

Pirates of the Caribbean pic.

The first pirate installation was exciting, intriguing and most importantly full of new ideas. It was unexpected, adventurous and basically everything you could imagine in a PG movie. Unfortunately, POTC: Dead Man’s Chest was unable to live up to the hype, though it tries to be innovative with new characters. Very few characters were interesting and the humour was just so typical of Hollywood at its most utterly lame.

POTC: Dead Man’s Chest captures a new adventure for Captain Jack (Jonny Depp), Will (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth (Keira Knightly). Captain Jack Sparrow of the Black Pearl is under a blood debt to the infamous Davey Jones, a role well suited to, and nailed by Bill Nighy. This movie was filled with too many villains, too many boring unoriginal lines and tacky costumes. The boring dialogue and corny characters would make the viewer assume it was aimed at a G-level audience, minus a rather graphic eye scene and a boatload of sexual innuendo between Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth. POTC: Dead Man’s Chest, in short, was probably the one of the worst sequals created since Matrix: Reloaded. But as this film is only the intermediary installation of the Pirates saga, there could be hope left for film number three; the filmmakers have the talent at their disposal. It would be a shame for two lame and flaccid sequels to spoil an excellent original. Coming to think of it, a little like the Matrix

DIRECTED BY GORE VERBINSKI

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 100 views
  2. The Übermensch 41 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 23 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 19 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 18 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  7. The Bresolin Brothers 12 views
  8. Twitterviews 12 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 10 views
  10. The Sedulous Recorder 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more