Post Grads Spoiled Rotten by New Agreement

THESIS STUDENTS are now guaranteed minimum office space and computer access under a “dazzling” new agreement between the University and the Post Graduate Students’ Association (PGSA).

The agreement sets out the minimum resources available to students studying at Masters and PhD level and includes access to staff email and internet accounts, faculty grants of $2000 per year to cover research costs, a minimum of 4-5 square meters of office space and access to a dedicated computer.

The agreement was the product of 15 months of discussion between the University and the PGSA. Graeme Whimp, President of the PGSA, says the agreement is “remarkable and pretty dazzling. I’m not sure of standards which meet this minimum anywhere else in the country. Auckland University has minimum resource standards, but only for PhD students. Whimp says what makes the agreement revolutionary is the protocol for addressing concerns. The agreement sets in place a process for complaints, and unresolved concerns will be addressed personally by Deputy Vice Chancellor Neil Quigley.

Quigley says the agreement is an important part of retaining, and bringing, post graduate students to Vic. “We can’t expect to attract good post graduate students to Victoria unless we provide good facilities for them to work in,” he says.

The agreement will be reviewed in 2009.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Fredrick not-quite-so-deadVon Hayek says:

About time, but when will it be extended to Honours students as well?

Never stop the fight!

2. Nicola says:

Honours students technically aren’t post graduate. They are “graduate” students. But they technically aren’t undergraduates either. So you get dicked either way.

3. Fredrick not-quite-so-dead Von Hayek says:

Hang on, does that mean the PGSA does NOT represent Honours students?

4. Nicola says:

Honours students are a bit of a grey area I’m afraid.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan