Programme Reviews Reveal Mixed Results

A RECENT release of Academic Programme Reviews by Victoria shows great variations between student satisfaction in the Classics and Marketing and International Business Departments, two of the programmes reviewed this year.

The review, conducted and summarized by the University Teaching Development Centre (UTDC) was “deeply impressed by the general excellence of the Classics programme in all it does.” Alternately, it found students of Marketing and International Business (MIB) to be unsatisfied with many areas of their course.

The results reflect student surveys conducted in September 2005, and show that in the areas of “overall quality of teaching, assessment and feedback, level of intellectual challenge and value of what was learned” students rated MIB poorly. This result is perpetuated when compared to distinctly more positive comments from students of Classics who noted “overall high quality of teaching and supervision, breadth and depth of the curriculum and overall high intellectual challenge.”

The report does indicate that the low response rate of MIB students could be a factor causing such results, but recommended that “the school consider whether the variations of assessment patterns in its course are justified.”

The survey took place as part of a review of the programmes. Each programme within a school must be reviewed – a kind of quality control check – every seven years, with about ten programmes reviewed every year. Reviews Officer Linda Bowden says the reviews are scheduled in advance and are not indicative of problems within the programmes.

Programmes are reviewed by an external panel who then write a report making recommendations. The programme must then come up with a plan for implementing the recommendations, which is monitored every six months. This week a panel will be reviewing the Accounting and Commercial Law programme.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.