July 31, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Radio 4: Enemies Like This

It would be easy, and reductive, to sum this album up as Primal Scream by numbers. This Brooklyn-based dance-rock band have the capacity to straddle the line between indie-rock hit and dance floor anthem in a way that brings to mind the legendary Mancs’ biggest crossover smashes (think “Kowalski” and “Movin’ On Up”).

It could certainly be argued that, good as they are at this, they bring nothing new to the indie/dance love-in begun by the Mondays, and carried to its logical conclusion by Scottish madmen Shitdisco. The album is produced by legendary Primal Scream collaborator Jagz Koon, and even the tracklisting comes off like Screamadelica, beginning with the spiky, guitar-ridden club banger that is the title track, and moving on through to dub experimentation on ‘Ascension Street’ and house and funk on ‘All In Control’. This is all true, and yes, this isn’t anything new. This is their fourth full-length album, and it’s certainly the politest, although in ‘Everything’s In Question’ and ‘Packing Things Up On The Scene’ they have two potential club tracks that scream for a thousand different remixes. But it’s worth noting that a) Radio 4 have been peddling this politically pointed New York take on Manchester for six years now, which means that they are well ahead of the retrospective game when you consider that recent pretenders have only just begun rinsing the Hacienda and early ‘90s house crossovers now (and getting plaudits for doing so) and b) it sounds fucking choice, so who cares?

BORN WITH a cigarette in one hand and The Trial in other, Bea meant to go on as she started. Music wasn’t her first love, but her first love ended in a fight over rightful ownership of a Velvet Underground LP and the kitchen knife, so she chose the kinder option and stuck with it. In her spare time she enjoys casting aspersions, skulking, and making sweeping statements. She never checks her facts: figures it’s a way to live a little, to have arguments with people, then meet them. She’s currently writing a collection of short stories inspired by Schopenhauer’s manifesto of suffering and the Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. When it gets published, she’s pretty sure that boy will want to hold her hand.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan