August 7, 2006 | by  | in Online Only |

Calling occupants of inter-planetary life

How are we today. Last issue for the term… Tear, sniff, hug.

Lotsa mail poring in today. See it seems that people disagree that opposing globalisation makes you a fascist. Ah, well. And it seems that people disagree with me that there is no God. But, that’s okay. It’s all about promoting and discussing alternative view points. And I think there is something in the fact that some people are so against alternative ideologies and thoughts being talked about. Just seems a little closed off. That’s all.

Did you know that film festival centrepiece, The New World, is out on video on Thursday, less than a week after the Festival closed. And I saw a film, and then hours later, saw it on the new release stand at Video Ezy.

Man, I had a lazy weekend. Lotsa videos, and we’re going to kick some ass with this final issue. Oodles of quality cool.

And I need your help. I need some students who can answer some questions for me, it’ll take 5 minutes, and if your keen, just email james@salient.org.nz.

Okayyy. Also, people always ask me if Salient is going to cover the Israel/ Lebanon conflict. It seems that earnest and in depth coverage of this is best suited ot those with more resources. And I am ardently anti-Israel, but I just think it would be pointless if Salient weighed in. We couldn’t add anything. So why bother? I’m interested in peoples thoughts.

Salient made the Sunday View’s “Love It” Section. Yee-ah. Go Academic Idol. Poor Warwick Murray!

Anf fan of Chappelle’s Show will love this, kudos to Mr. Sweetman for the link.

James Robinson is a university dropout turned journalist who likes to pretend he has an honours degree. Turn ons include soup, scarfs, a hot bath and some FM-smooth Kenny G-esque instrumental jazz. Turn offs include student politicians, the homeless, and people who pronounce it supposebly.

1. Greg says:

When the Iraq War started, Michael Appleton emailed all the staff and got them to reply whether they were pro- or anti-war. This was then published in Salient. From memory the pro had about two people. The anti took an entire page.
    It would be cool to see something like that repeated.

2. Nick says:

Pro or Anti-War? Are you a retard? Who is pro-war? And what kind of mindless exercise is deciding on one side without a proper and extended discussions of the various contingencies and histories that are brought to bear in any conflict?

All that would accomplish is Salient saying, “We don’t like Israel”. Whoop de fucking doo.

3. Nick says:

And I’m still fucked off. It would be cool? What about the current middle east war is cool? Dead Israelis? Dead Lebanese? You stupid bastard. War is people dying, not just an excuse for you to flex your aggrieved liberal tendencies.

Wanker.

4. Tara says:

War is people dying

:emo:

5. Tara says:

I guess you’re pro war

6. And one of the docos at last year’s festival aired on TV at 10 am on Sunday the week (maybe two?) before it did in the festival!

7. Nicola Kean says:

I hate to sound pedantic, but it’s officially not a war.

8. Greg says:

Nick – in the context of the Iraq War – Did people support the US-led invasion of Iraq, or did they not. Yes people can be pro-war. Yes there are complexities, but a correctly worded question should be able to illicit a “yes” or “no” response on such an issue. Lecturers were not forced to respond, and if they felt uncomfortable stating either way, or whatever, then they simply did not need to answer.

I stated that it would be “cool” to see Salient print something of that nature, so that we know where people stood. There is nothing cool about war, and you should actually learn to read what people are saying before misinterpreting them (although with the internet ambiguity seems to rule, so its forgiveable I suppose).

And I support a complete ceasefire. Period. Then things can get worked out diplomatically. Without death, destruction or displacement.

9. jess says:

my favourite new term with regards to the ‘war on terror’ is ‘moisturisers of mass destruction’. props to matua for that one. kia ora.

10. Julia says:

Hi James,

Is Mr Sweetman’s first name Will? Where’d he get those links? Been trying to get in contact with him.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.