August 7, 2006 | by  | in Theatre |

Château de Versailles

Renovated and extended throughout the 17th Century

The Château de Versailles is a monstrous piece of Baroque architecture situated outside of Paris. Versailles actually used to be a village in its own right but has since been subsumed by the ever growing city of Paris. In 1660, the young King of France, Louis XIV, with his dainty ankles and curly black wig, was searching for a spot where he could set up court and be distanced from the constant yabbering of the Parisian aristocrats. He picked the royal hunting lodge at Versailles and in the following years extended it into the largest and most extravagant Palace in all of Europe.

Most tourists visiting Versailles will go to the Hall of Mirrors, one of the main attractions. This was built between 167 and 1684, is 73 meters long and contains 357 mirrors. Louis, who was more than a little self-absorbed, saw it also a canvas on which to raise his profile, and foster his already monstrous ego. Following th signing of the Treaty of Nijemen in 1678, he ordered his favourite artist Charles Le Brun to paint the ceiling of the Hall of Mirrors with images of all the Louis’ government had achieved. Louis is depicted as a victorious Roman Emperor, administering his kingdom and vanquishing foreign powers.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy