The Team Vic 2006 Victoria University Blues Awards

Nominations are now open for the 2006 Blues Awards. A University Blue is a sporting award recognising the performance of high achieving Victoria University athletes, officials, and administrators from October 2005 to September 2006.

Blue recipients will be considered for the major awards including Sports Person of the Year, Maori Sports Person of the Year, and Sports Administrator of the Year. Previous winners of the top award include All Black captain Graham Mourie, Black Stick Suzie Pearce, and five-time World Mountain Running champion Jonathan Wyatt.

The award ceremony itself will be a semiformal dinner held in October. In 2005, the guest speaker for the evening was All Black centre and Victoria graduate Conrad Smith. The 2006 speaker is yet to be confirmed.

There are two ways of applying for a Blue award. The first is for the student hoping to get an award to fill out the nomination form and ask a coach or appropriate sport/club rep to act as their nominator. This is probably the best method as no one knows students’ achievements better than the students themselves. The second way is for the sport/club rep to fill out the application on students’ behalf.

Nomination forms and the Blues standards are available online at www.vuwsa.org.nz/clubs or can be picked up from the Rec Centre or the VUWSA reception at the Kelburn, Pipitea, and Karori campuses.

Please post completed nomination forms to VUWSA, C/O Brent Hayward, PO Box 600, Wellington or hand in to the VUWSA reception in Kelburn by no later than 5pm Friday September 15th, 2006.

Please direct any enquiries to the VUWSA Clubs Development Officer Brent Hayward at clubs@vuwsa.org.nz or phone (04) 463 5060.

The Team Vic Snow Games Pre-Party

PRE-PAY TICKETS ARE $5 FROM THE VUWSA RECEPTION AT KELBURN, VUWSA RECEPTION PIPITEA, VIC BOOKS, THE ESTABLISHMENT ON COURTENAY PLACE AND TEAM VIC SNOW GAMES MEMBERS (IN THE QUAD ON THURSDAY 17TH AUGUST).

PRESENT YOUR TICKET ON THE NIGHT AND GET A SHOT OF JAEGERMEISTER AND GO INTO THE DRAW FOR A GNARLY JAEGERMEISTER SNOW BOARD.

FREE BUBBLY FOR THE LADIES (OR THOSE LADS DRESSED LIKE LADIES) FROM 8-10PM AND DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT LONG: $3 PINTS, 2X HOUSE SPIRITS $5, VODKA REDBULLS $5, AND $7 DOLLAR SHAKERS!

SNOW KING AND QUEEN 06: EITHER PAIR UP ON THE NIGHT OR COME AS A COUPLE AND REGISTER TO WIN A $200 BAR TAB AND A RIDE IN THE ESTABLISHMENT LIMO (WITH COMPLIMENTARY BUBBLY). TO THE TEAM VIC SNOW GAMES PRE-PARTYWIN THE CROWNS, COUPLES WILL HAVE TO PASS SEVERAL PHYSICAL CHALLENGES AND GET THE BIGGEST CROWD RESPONSE.

ALL PROCEEDS GO TO THE 2006 TEAM VIC SNOW GAMES TEAM AND HELP FUND THE TEAM’S TRIP TO COMMUTE DOWN TO WANAKA AND THE NZ UNI SNOW GAMES 2006!

BOTH VUWSA AND THE ESTABLISHMENT WOULD LIKE TO WISH THE 2006 TEAM VIC SNOW GAMES TEAM ALL THE VERY BEST!

WHAT THE HELL ARE THE SNOW GAMES ANYWAY???

The 2006 Team Vic Snow Games Team will be travelling down to Wanaka in late August to compete at the 2006 NZ University Snow Games. The 35-strong team is mixed with skiers and boarders and will compete in events such as Border X, Big Air, and Half Pipe. Some of the team are competing in the event for their second or third time and there are a few newbies looking to gain some experience. Your support will help these poor students get away from the books and enjoy a week in the snow, THE LUCKY BUGGERS…

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.