Tough Love for Banned Band

Thursday night band performances in the Union Hall have been cancelled after damage was caused during a performance two weeks ago.

During the performance by the band Tough Love, chairs and glass were broken and the set-up of chairs and tables in the other half of the hall was upset. One caretaker had to come in after hours to help clear up.

Although a complaint was initially lodged against VUWSA Education Vice-President Joel Cosgrove for allegedly being too drunk to help clean up, this was retracted after it became clear he had been at home cooking dinner.

Rainsforth Dix, head of the Union, says that alcohol was brought on to the licensed premises after the bar had closed. She also alleges that the band were clearly encouraging” the “silly behaviour”, and says they will not be invited back to the University.

However, these allegations are disputed by both band members and VUWSA Activities Coordinator Dusty McLoughlin. McLoughlin says the band have been on campus three times previously without incident, and reportedly only drank the rider provided by VUWSA – totaling about three beers each.

Liam, the band’s bassist, says the gig was “pretty quiet”, and reports that “a couple of twats had run in and knocked over some chairs.”

He also adds that he was “disgusted” at the turnout, which was at around 20 people. Dix and McLoughlin both say that the continuance of the Thursday night performances was already under review because of the low numbers of students attending.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1