Union Services Review “Timely”

STUDENTS WILL be given ample opportunity to have their say in a review of services provided by the Union, with the review beginning this month.

The review aims to explore the services provided, along with the levels of allocation of services, the facilities, equipment and people that support those services.

Services such as social meeting spaces, club meeting spaces and student events will all be assessed in the review.

Further assessment will be made on recent developments within the building, namely the new ‘open plan’ Mount Street Bar and Vicky’s café and the wireless capability of the building.

Rainsforth Dix, head of the Union, outlines the key drivers for the review as checking that the current services being provided are appropriate and relevant to students, and to identify other areas that require attention.

However, Chairperson of the Union Board and former VUWSA President Dave Guerin goes further, saying the Union Building is “not very lively and the mix of services is probably not right”.

Guerin says the review is “timely”, as long-term decisions about the future of the Union are due to be made next year. Implementing some of the recommendations of the review may require extra funding, he says.

Algate, an independent company, will undertake the review and will consult with students and other key stakeholders through surveys and group meetings.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection