VUWSA Backtrack on Levy Hike

The release of the VUWSA budget has been delayed yet again, this time in a scramble of cost-cutting that, if not effective, may lead to an increased student levy.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly says the financial situation of the organisation has led him to change his mind on the issue of raising the levy, after previously believing that it would be hypocritical for VUWSA to raise the levy while campaigning against rising University fees.

Former President Jeremy Greenbrook- Held acknowledges that VUWSA is stuck with increasing costs and a static income, but says “no matter which way you look at it [it is] a bit hypocritical.”

However, he says other solutions, such as reducing contributions made to the VUWSA trust and diversifying their income could be effective.

The budget, originally supposed to be released last Tuesday, is now due to be finalised today. Welfare Vice President Jules van Cruysen says that the reason for the further delay was “systemic” and beyond anyone’s control, but does not elaborate further, noting that the budget has not been released earlier than August for many years.

Costs are to be cut in the portfolios of clubs, activities, education and welfare as well as asking clubs and representative groups to do as much cost cutting as possible over the rest of the year. Kelly says that the budget cuts will not affect the fundamental running of VUWSA.

Exec members are not giving out any information over what the deficit was before the decision was made to make cuts, or what the deficit is likely to be after the cuts.

Rises in the levy could take the form of an inflation-adjusted measure or a set increase approved by a Student Representative Council meeting.

1. SRCs have no power over financial matters.

Moreover, the ‘internal components’ of the VUWSA levy (that part-time students pay $66) was set by a motion at an SGM (which can’t be over-ruled by an SRC).

2. Greg says:

Essentially will people vote for more of their money to go to VUWSA?
    Well, if the organisation was run and clearly benefited students, then yes they would. But at the moment, the organisation is a mess, so I doubt it.

3. peteremcc says:

Greg, the question isn’t whether people will vote for it, but whether enough people will vote against it. We have to make sure that if it does come up, we have enough people there to throw it out. While VUWSA might be hopeless, I wouldn’t be surprised if they slipped it into a meeting somewhere and managed to rake up 40 odd people to come and vote for it.

Thats the main concern.

4. Remember, General Meetings have a quorum requirement of 100, unline the 50 for SRC’s. And as the levy requires the text of the constitution, it would require a two-third majority to come into effect.

5. peteremcc says:

Well thats a bit more reassuring. :)

i do find it disappointing however when people (no one inparticular guys) laugh at VUWSA for everyones disinterest and then complain about what VUWSA is doing. If we got more people involved, maybe we wouldn’t have such a large problem.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.