Candidates Front up at Forum

Safe sex good, beer prices bad. Heckling profanity and sexual references were aplenty at the candidates’ forum for the general elections last week.

Current VUWSA President Nick Kelly was subjected to criticism from fellow nominee Geoff Hayward, who announced that the problem with the “inept, self-serving” 2006 VUWSA general exec lay with the current president. However, little was below-the-belt, with Hayward commenting that “a good committee allows fresh faces to come in” and promising to remain impartial to “personal grievances” if elected.

However, this paled in comparison to the pledge made by Fa’afetai Ta’ase, who offered to “kick the Vice-Chancellor’s ass,” and declared “No more millions to the bastards!” The fourth candidate, Gareth Robinson, was not present at the forum.

Joel Cosgrove, standing uncontested for re-election in his current role, refused to confirm or deny the possibility of ditching his trademark helmet in exchange for votes, and to the question, “Why should we vote for Kelly’s bitch?” he had no noteworthy response.

Candidates popular with the audience included International Officer-wannabe Genevieve Fontanier, who was applauded for correctly naming the President of Iran, and Tai Neilson with his promise to “burn things” if elected into one of the five general exec positions.

Christopher Renwick’s nomination prompted one of the few serious discussions, with questions raised about his conduct while on Ngai Tauira, the Maori Students’ Association, and his association with former Treasurer and convicted fraudster Wi Nepia. Renwick pointed out that if elected he would be uninvolved with finances and stated, “[What happened with Nepia] is sad and wrong, but I will not be blamed.”

The usual campaign statements were made by nominees for University Council representative, ranging from Kieran Brown’s generic “Fight for student interest and welfare” to James Clark’s more antagonistic “Vote for me, I’m not [current representative] Cordelia Black.”

Voting for the general elections will begin tomorrow, and votes can be cast both online and in polling booths at all four campuses.

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism