Deed Signed – Salient Gets Boozed

It was smiles all around for University, VUWSA and VUWSA Trust representatives as the Union deed and operating agreement were officially signed last week.

The documents aim to put an end to the long running dispute over ownership and control of the Union building, and were approved by the VUWSA executive and the University Council several weeks ago.

Day-to-day operation of the building will remain in the hands of the Union, the arm of the University that manages non-academic student facilities, while VUWSA will now be responsible for half of any deficit in the costs of running the building. It will also pay $175,000 next year as a contribution to the building’s operating costs.

The amount paid each year by VUWSA is liable to change.

Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh said he was pleased to see an agreement after nine long months of negotiation between VUWSA and the University.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly, in electioneering mode, added that he was glad to be the President to finally bring the 45 year Union dispute to an end.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.