September 18, 2006 | by  | in Film |

DOA: Dead or Alive

Jiggly boobs. That’s all I could think of when I watched DOA. At first I thought the film would suit tweens considering the whole marketing looked as if it was aimed at those who liked to watch a little girl-power. Obviously they were aiming for a larger market when much of DOA was littered with suggestive between the legs shots of characters (one extreme close-up), and numerous slow motion shots of the female characters in bikinis.

This film is a game adaptation of the fighting game, and although I prefer Tekken by far, I almost wanted to like DOA. I quite enjoyed the surreal atmosphere and seemingly cheap CGI (which it probably was); although I forgive it as it felt as though the aim of the crappy effects was to give it the game-to-film feel.

The lead females are all pretty familiar: Jaime Pressly, Holly Valance and Devon Aoki. Although the film was downright bad, they managed to pull off quite good performances considering the scriptwriter wrote the cringe-worthy Steven Seagal film Under Siege. Another good point (why am I even defending this film?) is the awesome fight sequences. The only time I heard audience appreciation was when the characters pulled off really amazing stunts. Like Jaime Pressly getting tripped up on purpose and kicking the asshole who tripped her while falling in mid-air.

If you feel like watching somewhat scantily-clad females mixed with great fight scenes, then by all means use up your lunch money on this film. Although I felt DOA was just passable as an action film, I’m still embarrassed to tell people I watched it.

DIRECTED BY COREY YUEN
Reading, Manners Cinemas