Hippies Happy With Environmental Policy

The University has passed a policy which aims to see a major cultural change in how the whole University will behave in a world of finite resources and pollution.

The Environmental Policy sees the University encouraging public transport, clean fuel vehicles, recycling and that the University will be a community leader in promoting environmental awareness.

The draft version of the policy, which had eight student submissions – all in favour – passed with some minor modifications. Only some suggestions were taken into consideration as some were considered too “ambitious”.

The policy also creates an Environmental Committee, which Facilities Manager Dave Povey says will have “real teeth”.

VUWSA Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara says that VUWSA will campaign hard to ensure that the University follows its own rules. “VUWSA will make sure that this is not a token gesture,” he says.

Some of the other points that are included in the policy include: introducing cleaner fuel vehicles, protecting the natural areas of the University and considering opportunities to enhance them, and recycling.