If at First You Don’t Succeed…

A special General Meeting (SGM) will be held this Wednesday to discuss and vote on proposed changes to the VUWSA Annual Subscription.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly has proposed that the current subscription of $99 be increased to $120, and be adjusted in subsequent years by the weekly-wage index. The subscription was last adjusted in 1998, and Kelly says that the expansion of VUWSA services along with eight years of inflation have led to a difficult financial situation for VUWSA, which reported a $100,000 deficit this year. Kelly says without the increase, “fundamental cuts” will be made to VUWSA services and funding in years to come.

The proposal to increase the subscription was debated and voted on at an SGM two weeks ago, but failed to gain the two-thirds majority needed to pass before attendance dropped below the required quorum of 100 students. An Annual General Meeting (AGM) scheduled to follow the SGM two weeks ago also failed to make quorum.

Debating Society Vice-President Chris Bishop spoke against the proposed increase at the last SGM, despite having received $10,000 in VUWSA sponsorship for debating earlier this year.

Bishop told Salient that rather than an increased subscription “VUWSA services could be drastically reduced”, and that, in his personal opinion, VUWSA should receive some form of return from recipients of funding.

“The Debating Society obviously gained the benefits of the money, but so did VUWSA in terms of promotion and exposure and that’s a good reason, that’s the rationale on which the proposal was put,” Bishop says.

VUWSA Constitution enthusiast Nicholas O’Kane has also proposed two motions on the subscription, which are intended to either change the subscription to $110 or retain it at the current $99.

An AGM will follow the SGM, at which several proposed constitutional amendments meant for the last meeting will be carried over and voted on, with issues tabled including the VUWSA electoral system, Salient Charter and executive portfolios.

The SGM will be held on Wednesday at midday at the Mount Street Bar and Café.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. “The subscription was last adjusted in 1998″

Umm … 2003.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this