Levy Increase on Agenda at AGM

VUWSA president Nick Kelly has proposed an increase to the VUWSA subscription of $99 ahead of next week’s Annual General Meeting (AGM).

Kelly proposed that the VUWSA Constitution be amended so the subscription is increased to $120, and that this amount should be adjusted by the “prevailing weekly wage index each September” in subsequent years to accommodate inflation and rising costs. If passed, the increase will impact the purses of all full-time students.

The suggestion of increasing subscription costs comes as a result of VUWSA’s escalating expenses and stagnant income, which this year resulted in a $100,000 deficit and funding-cuts in many areas.

“We haven’t had a change since 1998, so obviously there’s been eight years of inflation,” Kelly says. “The new rate would reflect what realistically our costs are in 2006, and then having the weekly-wage index adjustment would mean it doesn’t lose track with inflation again.” Kelly is proposing the increase independently of the exec, but says it has shown support at meetings for a $21 increase. “I’m putting it forward because I’m the President, because I’m the financial leader, because I’ve worked pretty long hours on the budget,” Kelly said.

VUWSA Constitution enthusiast and anti-increase campaigner Nicholas O’Kane has submitted several pages of proposed amendments, including two to follow and possibly defeat Kelly’s subscription-increase by changing the subscription to $110 or keeping it at its current level.

Kelly commented to Salient that O’Kane’s proposals on the subscription are “poorly-worded and confusing”, and demonstrate a lack of knowledge of VUWSA’s needs.

Other submissions propose amendments to the VUWSA electoral system and controversial sections of the Constitution regarding campaigning during elections and Salient access to exec meetings. Most proposals come from current and past exec members, and have prompted a call for some submitters to find hobbies outside of student politics. The AGM will be held on Wednesday at noon in the Mount Street Bar and Cafe.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.