Meet the International Students Council!

Fiona Shi PRESIDENT
Even before I was familiar with the whole university, I was elected as International Student Officer at VUWSA. In order to better represent International Students on campus, the role was developed by VUWSA this year. This role gives me the opportunity to change and to make a difference in international students’ lives. I am proud and feel really lucky to be in this position. Besides doing a double degree (BCA and BA), I also enjoy ballet and playing the piano. Life is always busy for me, and although sometimes stressful, it is always very rewarding at the end of the day.

Juho Särkilä VICE PRESIDENT

Representing the vast community of Finnish students at Victoria University, I am enrolled in the Master of Laws programme. Before arriving at New Zealand on February this year, I worked for four years as a lawyer in Finland and Asia. When distracted from my highly exciting research into corporate governance, you can spot me playing ultimate frisbee at the Kelburn rec centre or outdoors at Oriental Beach. Among his other extracurricular activities are scuba diving, snowboarding and scaling (read: falling off) mountains.

Anoja Ramphul TREASURER

Hi, I’m Ano and I am currently studying for an LLM. Together with the International Student Council, I hope to get the international student community up and buzzing! We have a few events coming up and I hope to see you there! Myself? Full of purpose…and too much yoga.

Jasmine Koh SECRETARY

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn

Too often, people judge what they do not understand. In stereotyping, we fail to look beyond different features and foreign tongues. Being in the executive, it is my sincerest desire to see international students becoming immersed with this delightful allure we call the Kiwi culture.

Shana Khan GENERAL EXEC

BULA – You cannot do ANYTHING by doing NOTHING! I am Shana Nigar Khan from Fiji. I am a currently doing a Masters of Development Studies. This is my first year at Victoria of University. My background lies in the field of teaching. I was a tutor and marker for the University of the South Pacific for Distance and Flexible Learning Support Centre. My hobbies are travelling, watching movies and meeting people. I have joined the International Students’ Association with one aim: change. Change for the betterment of the International students, especially in terms of getting access to learning services and the adaptation of New Zealand lifestyles. My belief: Trust in God and he will lead you. My aspiration: To work and make a better place for the vulnerable groups of the society. My fear: To hurt people and God.

Fiona Lee GENERAL EXEC

Hi! Fiona (Lee) here. I’m from Malaysia and I’m doing first-year law. I’ve been in New Zealand for about 6 months now, and so far it’s been an awesome experience (except for the gaining weight part). There’s always so many things to be involved in, and 24 hours just doesn’t seem enough! What I hope to achieve by being on the ISC is to show international students how they can get more involved in university life. International students are paying more than the domestic students, but they’re getting less out of the whole university experience. That’s something that needs to be corrected, and hopefully ISC will be able to play a part in that issue.

Genevieve Fontanier GENERAL EXEC

I am proud to be on the executive council this year, because I think having a representative body for international students is significant to how the university can, and should, be run. Simply selling education without culture to students does not cut it. For me, the Council will serve as a place to input the ideas and concerns of international students, and show the domestic students that we can be a united body who would also like to peacefully integrate into Kiwi society.