September 11, 2006 | by  | in Theatre |

Moment / Gone – Three Plays Now

Have you ever felt that the constraints of time have a bearing on the way you live your life? It shouldn’t be necessary to even question it, should it? It is a common notion in today’s modern society that there are not enough hours in a day, that time flys by, consequently leaving us with the task of carefully prioritising the content of our daily routines.

The production Moment / Gone – Three Plays Now, is made up of of three plays directed and designed by students from the THEA 304 Directing course which all reflect this notion. Through the tools of directing and creatively engaging the aspects of sound, lighting and set design, the plays communicate the preciousness of time while also relating to the notion of a confined space. The latter is clearly spelt out particularly through the last segment of the performance.

Starting with the beginning, then, the comedy Time Flies (David Ives, directed by Sarah Silver) transports the audience into the imaginary world of bugs and insects. Here the play presents the subject of life, death and the time in between through the characters of two Mayflies (Maria Lubomudrov and Tim Chaning-Pearce). The audience witness the Mayflies’ discovery of their own faith (their whole lifetime being limited down to the fleeting moment of one day) from watching David Attenborough (Ed Watson) on television in their living room. From here, the play underlines the moral of life being short and that one should make the most out of it.

While Time Flies engages its audience by making them wear antennae, thus giving them a role in the play, Hypnagogis (Ken Hudson) directed by Jo Bean invites the audience into the living room of the characters Val (Melissa Reeve), Helen (Megan Abbott), Martie (Rawiri Jobe) and Artie (Jackson Coe). The intimacy experienced by the audience is reflected through the personality of the play itself, as the script calls for a close examination of human actions. It revolves around the concepts of mind games and manipulation, danger and revenge, grief and how we deal with it (or not) and the consequences of drug abuse. Moreover, Hypnagogis’ portrayal of the perception of time in the altered state of drug taking, underlines the collective theme of the plays.

Act Without Words 1: A Mime For One Actor (Samuel Beckett) directed by Kevin Casey) rounds up the triple-bill by drawing upon the (at times frustrating and unhappy) consequences caused by the constraints of time. A man is trapped on stage, unable to break free. The atmosphere it creates, along with a minimalist design and absence of monologue, reflects Beckett’s characteristic gloominess and fundamentally pessimistic view on the human condition. On the other hand, the staging of the actor (Gene Alexander) and his brilliant expression of resignation constitutes a comic relief well appreciated by the audience.

What Moment / Gone – Three Plays Now does so brilliantly is that it creates an uninterrupted and enjoyable space for people to take time out from fuss and bother, while simultaneously allowing them to reflect on the notion of time itself.

From the students of THEA

304 Directing Course
77 Fairlie Terrace
September 6th to the 9th