September 4, 2006 | by  | in Film |

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Oh my gosh. This film got a rating of 5.7 at imbd.com! How can it even share the same rating as the similarly frivolous, yet weightier film Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion? Clearly the people who voted on it are either tweens who don’t know what a good film is or lonely middle-aged women who have careers and vibrators but no romance. Guess I was semi-right as according to the source, those aged below 18 and females 45+ rated it the highest.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend didn’t actually look like a bad film. Promising a very pissed off female, Jenny (Uma Thurman), doing funny yet horrible things to Matt (Luke Wilson) her ex-boyfriend, I was looking forward to watching a Hollywood revenge film. However bad but entertaining the film could have been, it was just plain bad. The film is about this reject-loser Jenny who gains super powers by absorbing the radiation from a meteorite. What surprised me was the way Hollywood blatantly pushed the ‘perfect image of a female’ on to the audience as Jenny changed from a boyish brown-eyed brunette to a size DD blue-eyed blonde as she transformed to her super-being. I really don’t see the attraction factor with the Wilson brothers either. Sure they can pull some funny stunts, but one wonders when a broken nose (Owen Wilson) or plain performance (Luke Wilson) runs out of charm.

If you’re under the age of 18 and have no opinion of what a great film is and therefore don’t know any better, or if you are middleaged and still dream for that fairy-tale romance which isn’t going to happen, then My Super Ex-Girlfriend was made for you I guess, because I can’t see how anyone else would want to watch it. It is plain and lifeless Hollywood fare.

Directed by Ivan Rietman