News in Brief

Nominations for the annual VUWSA elections opened last week. Seventeen positions, that of president, vicepresident, treasurer, international, queer, environmental and women’s rights officer, along with five general executive positions are up for grabs. Student representatives for the University Council and Publications Committee will also be elected. The elections will be held in conjunction with a by-election for the position of education officer, recently vacated by Delia Timms. Nominations close on 14 September. Voting will take place between 26 September and 2 October.

Entries for the 101st Plunket Medal Oratory Competition, a annual speech competition run by the Victoria Debating Society, opened last week. Entrants must deliver a speech around ten minutes long on a topic of their choice without notes. The winner of the competition will receive a medal and have their name inscribed on the honours board in the Hunter Building. The competition will take place during the week of 25-29 of September and is free to enter. More information is available from James Clark, at vicdebating@gmail.com

A decade of dispute between the Union and VUWSA was officially brought to an end last Monday, when the University Council unanimously passed the deed. As reported last week, the deed and an operating agreement set up a Union Board nave been drawn up to oversee the operation of facilities in the building.

A second round of VUWSA stop lecture meetings will be taking place this week. The meetings are a short survey of every class at University, an effort to better measure student opinion. Run by class reps, the motion to be discussed and voted on this round is “that Vic students oppose a domestic fees rise”.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this