Second NZUSA Elections Scheduled

National Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) Co-President Joey Randall was successful in his bid for reelection last week, although the other two positions remain to be filled. Randall was elected in the first round of the voting, held at the NZUSA conference in Dunedin on 2 September. He received 75 votes, compared to 22 votes for the next closest candidate, Dan Connor from the Otago University Students’ Association.

Randall says he is “really pleased” to be returned with a “solid mandate”, with the percentage of the vote he received increasing by 10% from his election in 2005. He believes that this was due to happiness with his past performance. The second round of voting to fill the other co-president position saw no result after ‘no-confidence’ received more votes than any candidate, which means further elections via teleconference will be held in October.

Elections will also be held for the position of National Women’s Rights Officer, after the only nominee for the position, VUWSA’s Caroline Prendergast, was beaten by ‘no-confidence’ in the first round of voting.

Randall says that although the election system can be “harsh”, he was pleased with its “robustness”, as the voting was “about getting the best people for the job, not the least worst”.

Neither Connor, nor VUWSA exec member Heleyni Pratley intend to run in a second election. Connor says he “gave it a fair shot”, despite the number of votes he received being lower than expected. Pratley admits that she has not “had enough experience” for the position, but felt she had succeeded in pointing out that NZUSA was “losing a lot of relevance”.

Prendergast says she intends to run again, and believes that she had not been fairly assessed on her merits and that her treatment by her own executive was unfair.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.