Student Stabbed on Campus – Humourous Headline Probable Not Appropriate

Wellington Police are assuring Victoria University students that they are not at risk, after a student was stabbed on campus last week.

The 18 year-old student was discharged from hospital last Monday, after being stabbed in the arm and abdomen in the Murphy foyer that morning. Police have said he was “pretty upset” at what had occurred.

A 19 year-old student, accused of attempted murder, appeared in the District Court last Tuesday and was released on bail after entering no plea. Bail conditions included residing at his parent’s home where he will be under a 24-hour curfew and supervision by at least one parent at all times. He must not contact the victim, witnesses or enter any Victoria University campus.

Judge Bruce Davidson said there were mental health issues to be taken into account in granting bail.

The alleged offender was also granted interim name suppression ahead of a second court appearance next week. Detective Sergeant Tim Leitch says the incident was “not random” and there was “no risk for anyone else” on campus. The victim and accused had known each other for a sometime, and had had “issues”, he says.

A student passing through the area a few minutes before 11am says she saw two young men, one fitting the description of the accused, arguing loudly. VUW Director of Public Affairs Jude Urlich says parts of the incident were caught on closed-circuit security cameras, which had been provided to the police to help with their enquiries.

Leitch praised the actions of the students and staff who witnessed the event, saying their quick reactions prevented the incident from becoming more serious. “They did a great job” he says.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this