September 4, 2006 | by  | in Film |

Thank You for Smoking

Nick Naylor doesn’t hide the truth…he filters it.’

Alright, so the tag-line is a bit drab, but don’t let that hinder you from watching it.

This film is a great dose of satire, which is rarely seen done well these days. Thank You for Smoking is such an intelligent film. It questions personal values and opens up a world where anything is convincing…if delivered by the right person that is. The ‘King of Spin’ is Nick Naylor (Aaron Eckhart), the smooth-talking chief-spokesman and attractive face of Big Tobacco. It’s his job to convince people that smoking really is not just alright, it’s the best thing ever. Eckhart’s obvious charisma worked well for the lead character, he was made for this film. Having said that, the acting throughout the film was superb – recognisable actors include the currently ‘in’ child-actor Cameron Bright (X-men 3, The Butterfly Effect) to the annoying conservative Senator (William H. Macy)

The different elements in this film work together hilariously to make a truly enjoyable film – from the MOD Squad (Merchants of Death) group made out of lobbyists for alcohol (Maria Bello), guns (David Koechner) and tobacco (Eckhart) who eat lunch together daily and compete by the number of deaths their vices cause; to the ridiculous Hollywood producer (Rob Lowe) obsessed with “Asian shit”, TYfS is sure to flex your funny bone.

This film makes me want to quit my ambition of working in the film and media industry and become a slick-lawyer or motivational speaker: Thank You for Smoking is definitely persuasive. Seriously, this is one of the better films this year and it’s so worth the price of your pack of cigarettes.

Directed by Jason Rietman

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos