The International Students’ Council: What We’re All About

Did you know that there are more than 3,000 international students studying at Victoria University of Wellington? How well do you know them? Or are they just part of what we call the student body? Are they all just faces and unrecognisable voices?

This is main reason for the formation of the International Students Council (ISC). The ISC is the top international students’ representative body within Victoria University. It is a forum for international students to express, organise and represent themselves. The council aims to put on meaningful activities and events for international students to enrich their social, cultural and academic experiences.

In addition, the ISC is affiliated with VUWSA and Victoria University. Therefore, it is the most proximate body to the authorities and will be more effective in campaigning for issues affecting international students. As an extension to VUWSA, the ISC receives vital support from the association. To top it off, Victoria International works closely with ISC members to aid the ISC in its endeavours.

The ISC aims to promote awareness of cultural diversity and international issues in order to contribute to a better international atmosphere on the campus. Who wants a dull, mono-cultural campus when there is enormous potential for a vibrant multicultural one? Thus, the ISC aims to provide such an atmosphere and will strive to make our presence felt on campus.

Finally, we would like to extend an invitation to anyone who is enthusiastic and would like to make a difference in line with the ISC vision. If you are as passionate as us on the ISC, do e-mail shifi@vuwsa.org. nz to be part of a vibrant and lively student body, consisting of brilliant individuals who share the same zeal for diversity, student life and culture.

The council meets twice a trimester.

THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COUNCIL DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST STUDENTS ON THE BASIS OF THEIR RACE, SEX, COLOUR, RELIGION, DISABILITY, OR AGE. ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS ENROLLED AT VICTORIA UNIVERSITY OF WELLINGTON WILL BE ELIGIBLE TO BE A MEMBER OF ISC.