September 11, 2006 | by  | in Music |

The Mint Chicks – Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No!

Before Cody Nielson can yelp the first two words that outline the credo for this album, an absurdly simple and driving riff worthy of Deep Purple’s Machinehead lets the game slip. Sometimes the simplest explanation IS the best. The Mints (the Chicks?) have discovered their groove.

On last year’s F**k the Golden Youth, lacklustre rerecorded versions of the best from their EPs sat uneasily beside polished Buzzcocks homages. This album finds the band trading the erratic helter-skelter song structures of the past for more focused, slick pop songs, as the bio puts it ‘The Beach Boys have, for the moment, gained the upper hand on the Locust’. Which is not to say this dips into mediocrity at any time.

Pop isn’t always a dirty word. The hooks that bubbled up previously never outstayed their welcome amongst the Blood Brothers post-punk, but if you’re going to repeat one over and over for three minutes, it’s got to be good. The madcap experimentation hasn’t completely disappeared though, appearing as Bizzaro Zarro Land interludes between songs; ‘If My Arm Was a Mic Stand Would You Hold My Hand?’ even ventures a guitar solo amongst

the Ruinsstyle cut-up that passes for its structure and an instrumental outro builds to a tantalizing half-climax of noise that will just make you laugh and want to spin the forty-five minute album again.

Moulding together classic British punk (‘You’re Just As Confused As I Am’ & ‘Walking Off A Cliff Again’ could pass for Buzzcocks covers), 80s new wave (check out the clipped Blondie vocals in ‘This is

Your Last Chance to Be Famous’), postpunk, Sabbathian heavy-metal riffs and ye olde Flying Nun into a sound that is very much their own, Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! is utterly modern yet strangely timeless, and worth owning for the surrealist felt-tip art alone. Here’s hoping the Beach Boys haven’t won out over the Locust in their cathartic live show…

1. emma says:

i think mint chicks are a really hot band i love thier song crazy yes dumb no it is a really cool song and they should bring out more songs like it .i like how the MINT CHICKS have a CUTE huskey in thier clip . the clip is really funny like when there is a man on a car but on the dunny.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.