VUW German Club – Herzlich Willkommen

The German Club at Victoria has to be one of the most outgoing and friendliest groups of like minded individuals at Victoria University. In fact we are the only language club that has had noise complaints (yes plural) laid against us.

Due to the large amount of activities, events and goings on, here is an überdeutsches efficient list of what German Club is all about:

The German Library is the social hub of the German club (and the sixth floor). It is located on the 6th floor of the von Zedlitz building, and contains a variety of German books and dictionaries. It is almost always occupied during the week, and the people there are always willing to help lost souls. And it is almost impossible to study there that’s what the French, Spanish and Italian libraries are for.

Kaffeestunde (Coffee hour), our weekly ‘meeting’ in the German library, where we meet at 3pm on Wednesdays to drink coffee and eat cake. This is a great place to meet, make new friends and maybe speak a little German. Oh yeah you also get to know your lecturers in a more social situation.

The Courses cover language, society and culture, and literature. The courses are broken up into tutorial sized classes that are never too big, so your learning is maximised and you get to know your fellow students really well.

The People you meet through doing German are great. Let me just say this: when the people from the German club gather, there is always the possibility that we spontaneously break into song, dance or some other equally embarrassing but highly enjoyable past time. Yes, it really does happen in real life! The German department also has a reputation of long lasting friendships, with many past members often popping in or turning up at club BBQs, parties or events.

The Staff of the German department are the friendliest people in the world. If you have any question, idea or problem, they are always happy to help, listen or hassle you about it. Their open door policy and the fact that they are just down the hall from the library means that they are always there when you need them. But best of all, of course, is that they make learning fun!

The German Club Breakfast is held once a year, and for a small price you can feast on delicious German sausages, bread, cheese and pancakes. Coffee is also included.

The Languages Ball, little known fact, was an idea that originated in the German Club, though was beautifully executed by the allinclusive Asian and European Languages Club. The first annual Languages ball this year featured a DJ, Cuban band Son del Monte, a variety of exotic foods, and over 170 crazy dancing attendees, and of course the German club was there in full dance-athon force.

The German Club Play is also one of our yearly events, and just happens to be this week! What a coincidence! This year’s play is called Piramus und/and Thisbe. Each night we will be performing a part of Shakespeare’s version (A Midsummer Night’s Dream) in English, then the Andreas Gryphius version in German, so even if you don’t have a good working knowledge of German, you should still be able to follow. For those of you not familiar with the play, it is a comedy about a group of craftsmen who want to perform a play for the King. The problem is they are all enthusiastic yet extremely bad actors, and everything goes wrong, with hilarious consequences, people will get hurt, watering cans will be broken. The play is on this Wednesday (20th September 20th), Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, starting at 7.30pm at the Gryphon Theatre on Ghuznee Street. Tickets are $10 for students and $12 for adults. For bookings phone: 04-463 5294.

German Club is great for cuddles. If you are feeling like a cuddle there is always someone who can help out!
– JOHN

The German Club is like an inescapable Chinese whisper; what goes around comes around, but it’s never what you expect.”
– JACQUELYN

Germans are sexy. We like to sing German songs, make merry and toss back the finest Glühweins. We conjugate only the finest verbs with utmost precision.
– DAVE

1. Timo Hummel says:

That is hilarious, just goggled German clubs in Wellington and came across this website.
    You guys must have heaps of fun, hope next time there is a German party I am invited.
    Timo(born in Stuttgart) sauft nicht zu viel, Servus!!!