Wannabe Presidents Battle It Out

Two VUWSA exec members are among the nominees in the National Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) elections, held in Dunedin last weekend.

Four candidates have put their name forward for the two Co-President positions, including current Co-President Joey Randall. The other nominees were Dan Connor, Finance and Services Officer at Otago, VUWSA general exec member Heleyni Pratley and Michael Thompson from Whitireia Polytech.

Randall says he has spent much of this year focussed on building relationships and lobbying, an approach that needs to be “complemented and supplemented” ahead of the 2008 election. Connor also agreed that the 2007 Co-Presidents needed to set the agenda for 2008.

Pratley, who was unable to answer all of Salient’s questions because she was having her hair dyed at the time of the interview, says she believes there needs to be a “nation-wide, coordinated attack” to gain a universal living allowance for students. Having been involved in VUWSA for less than half a year, she was unable to respond to criticism that she is too inexperienced to run for the position.

One nomination for the position of National Women’s Rights Officer was received, from VUWSA’s current Women’s Rights Officer Caroline Prendergast. However, her prospects of winning have been hampered by her own executive refusing to vote for her.

Prendergast was not dismayed with VUWSA’s decision, saying she was “so excited” about the election.

While the results of the election were not available at the time of writing, former VUWSA President and perpetual commentator on student politics Jeremy Greenbrook-Held says he expects Randall to be reelected in the first round of voting.

However, he says it is likely that there would have to be further elections to decide the other two positions.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. bloggette says:

since when were polytechs part of NZUSA
    seems a bit stoopid doesit not ppl?

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,