“Kidnapped” Student Threatens To Sue

Law student Harry Mete has threatened the University with a court order for information to continue legal action against a librarian who allegedly kidnapped him in July.

Mete says he is unhappy with the outcome of the University’s investigation into the incident, and intends to sue the librarian for $6000 in damages, under several criminal, civil and public law actions including kidnapping, false imprisonment and breach of the Bill of Rights.

Mete received a letter from the University on behalf of Tony Cuttriss,Head of Lending and Reader Services at the Library, with the outcome of his investigation into the incident late last week.

The letter states: “…you refused to comply with [the] instruction [to leave the library] within a reasonable time… Some aspects of the way in which the staff member concerned dealt with your misbehaviour could have been handled better. However, in light of the significant part that you played in creating a most unfortunate and stressful situation for all concerned, Mr Cuttriss does not intend to take any action against her.”

Mete alleges that after having the “implied consent” of a librarian to remain for four minutes after closing times to complete the burning of a CD, another librarian kept him against his will in the library after he refused to apologise for being late to leave.

Mete was later released after the librarian called a security guard.

In an email to the University, Mete has said Cuttriss’ “conclusions are wrong”, and that “since the university has chosen not to discipline the criminal and tortuous behaviour of the head librarian, I will do it myself in the Wellington District Court.”

Mete has informed the University that if he is not given the librarian’s name and contact details before October 13 to begin legal proceedings, he will “file a statement of claim in the Wellington District Court against Victoria University of Wellington.”

Director of Public Affairs Jude Urlich confirmed the University has received the email, and told Salient “a response should be provided to the author later this week.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Holden Iscariot says:

Fair enough. Fight the system. Good luck getting permission from VUW to practise Law – it ain’t gonna happen if you continue, I daresay.
    H.I.

2. Laude says:

Mate – relax, there are more important things in life to get this stressed about.

Why don’t you apply all this energy into something more constructive.

3. Franky boy says:

I think getting a life wouldn’t do you any harm Harry

4. Geff says:

I think Harry should wait until AFTER graduation to get thrown out of court. Its gonna be a premature lesson for him that wot mite seem the law aint the law if you have pissed everyone off by being an annoying and arrogant smart arse.

5. lily says:

harry u are a wanker. do u rember the bit in torts 212 about trespass? also actionable without damage?
    wanker