October 16, 2006 | by  | in Opinion |

Blues Awards honour Victoria athletes

Victoria’s supreme athletes and administrators from a variety of sports were honoured at the 41st Annual Victoria University Blues Awards last Wednesday. Guest speakers for the evening included Olympic Gold medallist and former Black Sticks coach Paul Ackerly, and World Mountain Running Champ, 2005 NZ Sportswoman of the Year, and former Victoria University Blue recipient Kate McIlroy.

The Blues are the highest recognition the University can give to people who have, by their sporting achievements or contribution to sport, brought credit to the institution. They are awarded by the Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association on the recommendation of the Blues Panel, which consists of the chair and secretary of the Victoria University Sports Council and four appointed members who are highly respected Wellington sportspeople. Thirty-six students received sports blues and ten students will receive sports administration blues.

The three major awards, the 2006 Sportsperson of the Year, 2006 Maaori Sportsperson of the Year, and 2006 Sports Administrator of the Year were presented by Kate McIlroy at the conclusion of the ceremony.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America