Debater Darts to Victory

A speech about the world acting together to solve future problems won the Plunket Medal Oratory Competition last week.

Joe Connell, a member of the Vic Debating Society, took out the prize with his speech called “Dart”, describing how the world map was like a dart board in terms of what circumstances people are born into.

Connell was awarded the historic Plunket medal and will have his name inscribed on an honours board in the Hunter Building.

Organiser James Clark says the contest was “really competitive”, with four entrants all of high quality. However, judge John Bishop felt that Connell’s speech stood out in the passion it conveyed to the audience.

The annual competition, which has been running since 1905, is described by Clark as “steeped in honour and tradition”. Run by the Debating Society, entrants have to give a ten minute speech on a topic they are passionate about, without the aid of notes.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos