Fuck Off James

Wellington Journalist and former Vic student Steve Nicoll has been appointed Salient Editor for 2007.

Currently working for a number of Wellington community newspapers as a freelancer, Nicoll has studied Journalism at Massey University and Psychology at Victoria.

Nicoll says he is interested in “what’s really going on”, rather than rewriting press releases. “What really motivates me in the media is challenging perceptions and presenting stories that the mainstream media aren’t,” he says. Salient also plays an important role in “making students aware of what’s happening in VUWSA”, he says.

Nicoll says he is currently looking over past editions of Salient, and trying to “formulate a vision”. He praises current Editor James Robinson, and says he wants to build on the strengths of 2006.

Robinson says Nicoll was an excellent candidate for the job, showing “an impressive knowledge of the practices of journalism mixed in with a high level of managerial skill.”

Nicholl says his other interests include music – he is part of the band Stevie Starr – along with tramping and drinking. Anyone with ideas about Salient 2007 are welcome to have a beer with him, he says.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Greg says:

Interesting… when was the last time someone not previously involved in Salient was appointed as editor?
    Ideas: more politics. more cartoons.

2. Nick says:

Suggestion: you find the cartoonists

3. blogette says:

bring back “from the left” so greg can show how dumb he is all over again

4. Mike Heine says:

Well done Steve! I look forward to seeing your new vision implemented :)

5. dave says:

Yeah good on you steve, thanks for the email, yes, you`ll have to get some politics in there( and BTW I`ll be a full time student next year)

6. retrospect says:

Shit, James Robinson must feel like a fuckin idiot now.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot