October 2, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Handle the Jandal

Radio Active’s annual Handle the Jandal awards ceremony was held at the Embassy recently, once again celebrating low budget excellence in local music videos. Salient Music Editors Beatrice Turner and Hateful Chris were in attendance, enjoying the Jagermeister sponsored event from the media room; both reported to be “drunk”, for the good part of proceedings. Sally Tran took out the Golden Jandal for favourite music video, for Charlie Ash’s ‘O’Baby’. Another notable win was Dean Hewison for Matthew Saville’s ‘Fuck You Orlando’, which won an award for best use of exploitative tactics and received the award to rapturous applause. The video clip shows star Matthew Saville butchering the annoyingly feminine Lord of the Rings star after Bloom had shagged his girlfriend. (Ed- The clip is awesome.)

The full list of winners was:

Favourite Music Video

Sally Tran for Charlie Ash’s ‘O’Baby’

Best Use of Exploitative Tactics

Dean Hewison for Matthew
Saville’s ‘Fuck You Orlando’

Best Editing

Filthy Joe Smoke for
The Sorecock’s ‘Lucyfer’

Best Cinematography

Mark Summerville for Battle Circus’
‘Send in the Clones’

Best Concept

Sally Tran for Charlie Ash’s ‘O’Baby’

Best Animation

Toby Donald for Boss Christ’s ‘El Bandido’

Rising Star

Ed Lust for Arkitype’s ‘Shut Eye’

BORN WITH a cigarette in one hand and The Trial in other, Bea meant to go on as she started. Music wasn’t her first love, but her first love ended in a fight over rightful ownership of a Velvet Underground LP and the kitchen knife, so she chose the kinder option and stuck with it. In her spare time she enjoys casting aspersions, skulking, and making sweeping statements. She never checks her facts: figures it’s a way to live a little, to have arguments with people, then meet them. She’s currently writing a collection of short stories inspired by Schopenhauer’s manifesto of suffering and the Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. When it gets published, she’s pretty sure that boy will want to hold her hand.