It’s Hip to be Queer

Proud 2006, the national Pride Week, takes place this week, with several UniQrun events being held around Wellington. UniQ kicked off Proud 2006 with a “High-School Prom” at the James Cook Hotel on Saturday.

Workshops are being held Monday and Tuesday in Meeting Rooms in the Student Union Building, along with a Queer BBQ on Monday evening and the NZAF Community Forum and Youth Development Workshop on Tuesday. A screening of Squeeze, the first New Zealand queer film, takes place on Wednesday, a ‘Test The Queer Nation’ quiz night is being held on Thursday evening, and ‘Hairy Armpits’, an alternative queer music night, is on Friday night.

Proud 2006 ends with an Oriental Disco on Saturday, with ticket pre-sales $15 from Cosmic Corner or $20 at the door.

For more information about events or Pride Week, visit the VUWSA Office or GayNZ.com

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan